Friday, August 29, 2014

Photo blog of Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens

I've been curious about the Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens for a long time, ever since I interviewed a lady in this old report at the park near the entrance. I saw here in the Palm Beach Post that its limited-time-only exhibit, "Samurai Culture: Treasures of South Florida Collection," would be ending on Sunday. So my husband Nathan and I ventured out to Delray Beach on my lunch-break today. The only downside was that I couldn't take photos of the samurai exhibit, it wasn't allowed... but it was cool to see, let me reassure you. :) 

Instead of writing a lot here, I just want to post these photos and link you here to the garden map, because it's interesting! It was really HOT and I kind of rushed through it a bit since I was so busy and had to get back to work... but we did enjoy ourselves. :)
Two necessities -- a map and cold water
The "Ancient Gate," or "Kodai-mon" made out of Japanese cypress is inspired by entrances of large mansions of high-ranking samurai during the Edo Period (1600-1868)
Love the Bamboo Grove
So much green-- it was really restful and beautiful
Karesansui Late Rock Garden
 Nelson Family Memorial Garden
Morikami Memorial, which are traditional gravestones for George Sujaki Morikami, the park's namesake. The marker beside it is in memory of Jo Sakai and Mitsusaburo Oki, founders of the Yamato Colony, Florida's first Japanese colony. I never realized the major street in Boca Raton, Yamato Road, had this rich history...<--click  to read.
Bonsai garden...
Koi pond and waterfall...
The below photos are of the previous Morikami museum, and they show Japanese culture/life:
 Showing mass transit in Japan
 Typical school
 Are you a Japanese student?
Sample Japanese kitchen-- note the noodles!
 Filipinos have rice cookers, too ;) 
Sliding doors
Someone should tell Nathan the sign says "Not a working toilet"
 Rocky Point
Waterfall
Tea house and traditional tea garden

The museum hosts an upcoming Sushi & Stroll event coming up on September 12, 2014... think you'll go? Let me know if you are interested in Japanese culture in the comments below!

Thanks for reading,
~Angela~

No comments:

Post a Comment