Monday, August 25, 2014

Ladies Night Out at the South Florida Science Center and Aquarium

I work right around the corner from the South Florida Science Center and Aquarium, so I was excited to get an invitation from my coworker/friend Pam to attend the center's "Ladies Night Out" event last Friday night. It was a fun evening of entertainment with a science twist benefitting their Girls Excelling in Math and Science (GEMS) club. "Women tend to be underrepresented in science careers, and we want to change that," said Kate Arrizza, COO of the Science Center. "We want to show girls today that they can be chemists, engineers, pilots and more, the options are truly infinite."  

The event was targeted to female consumers. As we all know, I am definitely one of those! :) 
When we first walked in, we immediately received awesome freebie bags from Palm Beach Outlets.
Gonna use mine at the beach!
Another coworker/friend Amanda joined us, and the evening got started with the blue martini special drink from- where else?- Blue Martini at CityPlace
Lots of vendors tempted me to spend $$$...
Onli Beverages manufactured in West Palm Beach are enjoying a moment. I see them everywhere at functions! The hibiscus flavor is my favorite. Refreshing!
Art for sale by science exhibits.
Note the humidifier! Or is it a steam producer? All I know is that essential oils scents are dispersed in the air. That's a good thing.
I loved that rack of Lilly Pulitzer-esque clothes on sale... But I resisted their magnetic pull.
One of the things I was most excited about was the homemade lip balm booth! We scored samples. Mine is flavored mango!
Amanda knows the secrets of the reefs...
Pam and Amanda were laughing at me at how intently I was listening to the homemade soap speaker. Hey, that stuff is fascinating! Amazing how these gourmet organic creations have their roots in ashes and lye.
The grand finale was LIQUID NITROGEN ICE CREAM, created right in front of our eyes. The demonstrator flavored it with Merlot, and it was the best ice cream I've had in a long time! 

Science is cool, folks. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment