Monday, March 2, 2015

Crocheting versus knitting - new obsession!

My grandmother taught me to knit when I was just a wee little lass. The skill stayed with me for life, although I've never been ambitious and was just satisfied making scarves (that's still all I can do with knitting). But I started flirting with the idea of crocheting, and I was inspired by The Crafty Reporter. She messaged me one day that it's fun to crochet, and I was intrigued by her crafty-ness.

So I bit the bullet and purchased some cool yarn and a few crochet hooks from Michael's. Now I can't stop!
Mogwai approves of the baby blanket in progress

I'm working on my second baby blanket (see blue yarn blanket above) for my friend Carli, who had her baby boy a couple of weeks ago. I just finished my first ever baby blanket (see multi-colored blanket below) for my bestie Tambre, who had a lovely little girl, also a couple of weeks ago.
I also can whip up a quick scarf like nobody's business. I have made so many scarves for my mom and friends and family! Below is a scarf I knit for my friend Alanna while we had an hour-long phone conversation. The scarf was finished when we hung up! 
The beginning of the Tambre's baby blanket below, plus two other scarves I finished. All this in just one night! There's no way I would ever have been able to do that knitting. Knitting is so much slower...
Infinity scarf for my bestie Leslie since purple is her favorite color.
Same purple yarn but for another bestie, Kelly Aline, who works for the Alzheimer's Association.
My precious mom sporting the scarf I crocheted for her, wearing it this past weekend on her San Francisco trip.

It's so much faster to crochet than knit-- there's no way I'm going back to knitting! It used to take me a week to make a scarf. Now I can make THREE SCARVES IN ONE NIGHT!

Also, my step-grandmother pointed out that crocheting products look prettier and more pleasing to the eye than knitted looks. Maybe that's a personal preference, but I am definitely not going back to knitting now that I'm "hooked!" :)

Update: I had a comment on Facebook from my friend, Christina, who mentioned how you have to pay more attention when crocheting than knitting. She said, "Knitting is mindless." I am actually going to agree with that-- I don't have to look at my hands when I'm knitting, so knitting is better if I'm watching a movie. I have to at least glance at my hands when I crochet, although I have a system for when the TV is on -- I can prop my hands on my knees, so they're about eye-level with the screen, and I can make it work!

4 comments:

  1. You are a crocheting machine! I love these scarfs--and the blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good for you! i just don;t have enough patience!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, I won't lie-- it did take me 2 hours to learn at first. Sat there and watched YouTube videos, slowed them down, replayed them, etc. It was so much easier once I mastered it, though!!!

      Delete