Thursday, June 5, 2014

"Founder's Day" at the Flagler Museum, AKA Whitehall

On my lunch break today, I crammed in a quick visit to the Henry Morrison Flagler Museum in Palm Beach, FL. This National Historic Landmark celebrated its "Founder's Day," which allows visitors to enter for free, instead of the usual $18 cost.

Straight from the website:
In March 30, 1902, a story in the New York Herald described Whitehall, the Palm Beach home of Henry Flagler as, "More wonderful than any palace in Europe, grander and more magnificent than any other private dwelling in the world..."Flagler built the 75-room, 100,000-square-foot Gilded Age mansion, Whitehall, as a wedding present for his wife, Mary Lily Kenan Flagler. The couple used the home as a winter retreat from 1902 until Flagler's death in 1913, establishing the Palm Beach season for the wealthy of the Gilded Age.

Henry Flagler, founder of Standard Oil, is a huge figure here in Palm Beach County. From Wikipedia:
He was also a key figure in the development of the Atlantic coast of Florida and founder of what became the Florida East Coast Railway. He is known as the father of Miami, Florida, and founded the city of Palm Beach.

I do think the Flagler Museum is worth a trip, although typically I'm not into museums or history. It was most certainly opulent! The word that came to mind when I walked up to the impressive building was "GRAND."

Instead of writing a lot about it, I just recommend that you go yourself, even paying the full admission price. I do think it's a good idea to take a tour, and take your time there, instead of rushing through it in 45 minutes like I did (a challenging thing to do with the large crowds-- but I managed!).

Flagler front selfie ;)

How beautiful is this place?!

Front entry gate, and the layout map

Front door and a big ol' portrait of Henry Flagler himself

Amazing entryway -- the Grand Hall

Hello, I'm an organist, HIRE ME! LOL ;)
So you know I was all about the pipe organ in the Music Room!
The Flaglers used to have an organist live at the house,
to have music whenever!

Secret staircase! I love secret passageways after reading the "House of Dies Drear"
and I think this may be the FIRST secret passageway I've ever seen in my life ;)

Grand Ballroom and the Courtyard

Moving up to the 2nd floor-- the Green Room (a guest room)

Colonial Chamber (largest guest room)

I like pink, therefore I liked the Pink Room (guest room)

Old-fashioned toilet makes you appreciate what we have now...
and some clothing, complete with shoes below

Love the large Master Bathroom

An up-and-down panoramic photo walking down the second-floor staircase

Lovely view of the Intracoastal Waterway from a 2nd floor room, the Lace Exhibit

Hopefully you can make it out there and check out the interesting historical artifacts and rooms one day! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment