Thursday, April 9, 2015

Tips and tricks: all about LASHES! #Throwback to my first anchoring days

I'm turning today into a #TBT #ThrowbackThursday because I found this photo from my first anchoring gig, back when I was the morning anchor at KTVE/KARD in my hometown of Monroe, Louisiana.


Maybe it doesn't show in this poor quality picture... but when I see this, the first thing I think of is, "I LOVE eyelashes extensions!" LOL! Standout eyelashes make your eyes really pop, especially on air or in photos.

I have tried sooo many different types of lashes, and I have my favorite styles and looks. If you have the money, I recommend that you go for a professional eyelash extension application. That's what I was wearing in this photo from a salon-- the lashes were individually applied, so they looked PHENOMENAL and they lasted for WEEKS. Worth it if you can afford it!

But if you're like me now, you're all about saving $$$, so you want the cheaper, easier and quicker version of great lashes. So here are some tips and tricks that could help you in your quest for amazing lashes:

1. Choose your preference of which lash enhancement you want to try. Whether it's cluster lashes (my personal favorites for at-home, easy application and a natural look), or even the more challenging but more dramatic and effective strip lashes,  don't be intimidated-- practice until you feel comfortable applying them. Also don't forget that you can do fiber mascara, which are not really false eyelashes but are a great "bridge" between regular mascara and false lashes.

2. Get a glue that matches-- I recommend Duo, the brand I linked to here: if you are blonde, you can get away with clear adhesive, but if you are brunette like I am, go with the dark adhesive

3. Instead of attempting to apply the glue directly on the lashes themselves, try putting a glob on the back of your hand or on a piece of foil on your countertop. Then drag the base of the lashes through the glue to achieve a thin, even line of adhesive. 

4. Here is the MAGIC TIP: wait at least 30 seconds for the glue to become tacky! I wish I had known that years ago. All that wasted time trying to manipulate it to stick on my lashes, haha.

5. When the glue is sufficiently sticky, use your fingers (or tweezers or an eyelash applicator if you have a steady hand) and gently rest the base of the false lashes on the base of your natural eyelashes. Try not to blink, and let it set.

6. Repeat on your other eye, and then let the glue dry completely for at least 3 minutes. The glue will disappear when it's completely dry.

7. I recommend going over the base of the false lashes (where you applied the glue) with some dark liquid eyeliner to kind of "hide" the blobs of glue. I just think it looks better.  :) 

Viola! LOVELY LASHES! 

In the below photo from one of my recent videos, I was wearing strip eyelashes. I haven't been wearing them lately in any other videos, and I think this look makes my eyes stand out WAY MORE. The difference is noticeable!


Hopefully these tips can help you-- comment below with your favorite types of lashes to wear, and why! 

No comments:

Post a Comment